Edit: Now including a short video of me playing it!
Bought three organ pipes second hand on ebay the other day. Pitches (from lower key) are C, D and F#. Decided to make an electric organ out of it.
Case are made of oak wood milled on my CNC milling machine with church like ornament windows. It is my first experiment with making simplified tapped corners on the CNC machine. Not perfect but it seems to work out. On one side there is a control panel with individual power adjustment for each pipe plus vibrate frequency and depth.
I have used an Arduino to control the fan motors because I’m lazy. It gives me the possibility to PWM control and modulate the pipes with a few mosfets (IRLZ24N) and minimum effort. If I want to add midi control in the future, this will also be straight forward.
I have used separate fans, from hot air guns, mounted straight under each pipe. This gives a really simple assembly with no valves to worry about. The down side is that the fan noise is quite audible trough the pipe sound.
All in all I am very happy with the looks of this thing. Less happy with the sound, and the possibilities are obviously quite limited with only three pipes.
I am quietly daydreaming of buying a full set of old church pipes to make a huge Serafin like contraption of it. The biggest problem so far seems to be that the parts must be transported from the USA to Norway, which is far from cheap.